Friday, April 11, 2008

The mama bird did what?!




So on Easter Sunday, the kids were finding eggs and I noticed a dove sitting in our oregano garden and I remember thinking how strange. When I got a little closer she flew off and spotted a nest with two small eggs in it. The garden is sitting on top of a barrel (which is not very high at all). I quickly took a picture and then tried to stay as far away as possible from that nest so she/he could do their thing. We had some friends over tonight and I was showing my friend the dove sitting on her/his nest and we must have gotten a little close, because he/she flew away and revealed two baby birds (not more than a day or two old..the eyes were still sealed shut..I've done a little research tonight on hatchlings). I checked a few hrs later and the mother/father bird had not yet returned. I thought that was very strange since he/she's been scared off before a few times and had returned within 10-15 mins. So then I'm getting nervous wondering if the mama/daddy bird will ever return and if they just simply abandoned the nest. So then, of course, I can't sleep and kept thinking about the babies and went outside (it's now 11:30 and 60 degrees out) and still no sign of the big bird. I held my flashlight over the nest and thought they were both dead. The one on the bottom is much smaller than the one on top. The one on top begins to finally move (eyes still shut) and is opening it's mouth as if to say 'feed me'. So this just kills me (but it looks really close to death). I feel completely helpless in this situation and want so badly to take care of these needy birds. Do I take them to a warmer area, cover them up (risking the chance the bird will come back to them just to re-abandon them again because she can't see them), run to Petsmart and buy a dropper and something to feed them with (but still risk the chance of possibly doing it wrong and drowning them). So I have to just let nature take it's course and hope the mama/daddy bird comes back soon and does their thing before they freeze/starve to death. I'm terrified what I might find in the morning. I know you are probably thinking 'it's just a freakin bird', but I've watched this nest for the past few weeks now and it kind-of feels like they are mine as well. I did a little research and they said that the parents will not abandon the hatchlings if you touch the nest or them. So that made me feel a little better (we didn't touch the hatchlings or the nest by the way). I will update you soon!

No comments: