Tuesday, May 27, 2008

5 Point Harness vs. Booster Seats

http://www.celebrity-babies.com/2008/05/car-seats-for-o.html#more

I don't want to sound preachy, but many of you know I am a serious advocate for having children 5 point harnessed and in a car seat for as long as possible. This is important for me to blog about because I want to educate as many people as I can about it. I can't tell you how many times I've seen kids unrestrained in cars that should obviously still be in a car seat (I have a phone number that I can call now to report them). We'll be watching a movie and Tatum will ask why that 5 or 6 year old isn't in a car seat and I'll have to explain to her with an answer that she will understand. I remember earlier in Tatum's school year, I was talking with one of the moms' from Tatum's class and her daughter (who had barely turned 3 and is maybe 25 lbs if that) was in a basic booster seat with no back (although I'm not for sure she was even sitting on one, but I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt). I wanted so badly to say something without coming off preachy or rude, so I just kept my mouth shut and tried to ignore it.
On the link above, scroll down and view Kyle Miller David's You Tube story. I remember viewing that on You Tube back when Tatum was a baby and had decided from that moment on that we would never use boosters and always 5 point harness our kids. I mean why not, they make car seats that go up high enough that there really is no need for a booster. Plus, she can get herself in and out pretty easy now and I still keep the straps pretty tight. You can also click on this link It's easy to see what the safer choice is and it's about 4 secs, but a good watch as well. Tatum rides in a Britax Regent (which holds up to 80 lbs) and Corbin rides in a Britax Marathon (which holds up to 65 lbs) and they both will ride in one until they eventually outgrow them, although I may eventually move him up to a Regent, which is like a version of a car seat/booster (it's really wide and big), but with the 5 point harness straps. It made Tatum feel really good about having one and not having a booster, because I said it was like a special kind of booster and she accepted that..although she does still call it her car seat lol.

So please take a moment and click on the link up top. It's a short read, but really good information on the subject and hopefully you can help pass this bit of info on to anyone who is about to have children or already has some.

No comments: