Sunday, October 26, 2008

Thrifty mom in training

So many of you know Daryl's job as a construction inspector on the light rail (the park & ride section) is ending in a few weeks and he has yet to find another job. He has been on my case to be better at finding deals (especially on grocery shopping). I'll be good for a while...price matching at Wal-Mart and clipping coupons (usually buying things I wasn't planning on just because I had a coupon). But I'm trying to make the valiant effort to really do something this time. I was watching Oprah on the dvr from the other day and they had ideas on saving. One lady has a website that has a ton of ideas and also this which we will definitely take advantage of (not to mention would be really good white elephant gifts). Since I am still a novice at this...I would love any additional advice such as good websites or how to know when they are having double and triple coupons (I've never done that before). I watched a lady on Oprah who should have spent about $175 and after all of her coupons her total was $37! I really have to get on board with this after seeing that. Also, a friend of mine knows about a plan where you only pay $1500 and get all the braces you need (her son was quoted over $7k for his). So off to clip coupons and do some more research on what I can really do to make a difference at the grocery store.

6 comments:

Jenn Hydeman said...

Try MSM...they have great tips on becoming a better "economist"

http://www.moneysavingmom.com/money_saving_mom/

arizonamama said...

My favorite online website is retailmenot.com. Just type in the internet address of the online store where you're shopping and up pops a list of retail codes for discounts. I always go there first before I checkout of an online store. Saves me tons!

Xandi said...

Those are great! couponshare.com is also a good one too :).

Jenn.y.Fur said...

Let me know any goodies you find. Shaun lost his job "officially" on monday this week. I could use the thrifty help you get!! LOL! Hope you're haveing a great week!

Xandi said...

I've been getting a ton of good ideas and a few more links I'll have to send to you. I was listening to the radio today and they said that Fry's is having double and triple coupons until Dec 2! They are also honoring other coupons at the store. So I need to really sit down and print out some coupons and go to Fry's. Oh, they had a spend $60 and get $15 off your next shopping trip at Fry's in the mailers they send out last week. So I'm going to try and do that as well. Sorry to hear about Shaun :(.

Jenn.y.Fur said...

I just went to Frys yesterday and with my VIP card and coupons I saved $100!! Although while shopping I saw that Walmart was cheaper with some stuff...(even VIP stuff) but they don't double or triple coupons. I almost wish I could go to Walmart and price everything I bought out and total it up with coupons... see what the total would be? Talk about Time consuming!! LOL! Oh and Fry's gives you a $.05 credit for every shopper bag you bring in. not much but every penny counts sometimes!!