Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Vaccine Rant

So as you may remember from a previous post that I am not opposed to vaccines, I just want the "green" ones for my kids. So I decided to contact my current and previous pediatrician asking them if they used thermosal in their shots (specifically the MMR ones since I have not had his done...I thought I had, but when I checked in my records...oops...). Both said they did not special order. The current one I go to said theirs did in fact have Mercury in them, but they didn't think it was that big of a deal or posed that big of a threat, so they never special ordered any new ones and won't be doing so in the future. That completely appalled me that they would even think to say that to me or not do special orders. With all of the parents (and some professionals) believing Mercury may have caused problems in their kids, why should the rest of us risk it just to find out 10 years from now they were indeed right. I know the measles rate has gone up since many parents are afraid to vaccinate (or at least skip on the MMR), so you think that all doctors offices would start supplying their offices with them and even advertise that you can get them green. We wouldn't even be having to worry about the outbreaks if that happened. So I now have to find a new ped who special orders. Enough of my rant...

3 comments:

Jenn Hydeman said...

Contact MERCK directly, you can order them, pay for them, and have them overnighted to your ped. Also, the number of vaccines that are required now are SOOO incredibly skewed and leave parents thinking that they HAVE to get all the vaccines. Did you know that 10 years ago children under the age of 6 only had to get like 11 vaccines, but now we are required to get like 29 or something ridiculous like that. Check out this Youtube of Jenny McCarthy and her "Green Rally"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b1fycxZIwI

The Bryant's said...

We go to Pediatrix (they have several offices). The closest office is on Bethany Home and the 17. All of their immunizations are thersimol free... and you don't have to order/ request them. :-) We see Dr. Gina Montion and we love her. All three girls see her... the twins have seen her since the day they were born. :-)

Xandi said...

Thanks for that. I took Tatum there when she was a newborn and we wanted to find something closer to us...we may end up going back there if I decide not to special order the vaccines. Thanks for the info ladies :).