Wednesday, September 1, 2010

16 wk, 2 day ultrasound.


So we went in for what we thought was going to be a chance to really find out the gender.  Here's how this "lovely" appointment went:
I lay down and he puts the wand on my belly and starts measuring the head, body and femur.  Right before we got to the "money shot", someones cell rings.  I could have killed Daryl, but wait, it was the doctors.  He actually answers it and starts talking...for a really long time.  He was talking about another patient and their issues which to me was a little unethical because we were in the room and also non-professional since this was MY appointment.  So after about 5 mins on the phone he gets off and was pretty much done with me as well and goes, "Okay, everything looks good and it's a boy".  I look at him completely amazed..processing..processing..."Wait!  Show me the penis!"  So he starts to look some more so he can show me what he thought he must have seen.  No penis.  So after about 2 mins of that, he tells me, "Okay, it's probably a girl...but I'm not 100%.  It really could be either".  WHAT?!!  I actually have to wait another 4 wks for my gender scan.  This is going to kill me.  So I asked for a few few pictures (since he normally will only give me one).  I asked for a profile shot (which is the first one..really doesn't look like a profile to me...the head is on the bottom facing out and the body is on top.  Then the 2nd picture is the "toilet shot" which is so blurry because I swear his machine is from circa 1972.  I've had people mostly tell me they thought girl since you can't see any real nub shape sticking out in between the legs.  Then the 3rd picture is...hmmm..what is it?  I went to ask the doctor, but he was doing his dissertation.  I have no clue if genitals were involved in that picture or what..or if it's just a femur mixed in with a slew of other body parts..really weird.  I'm pretty bummed right now about the gender, but very happy the baby looks really healthy and is measuring really well.



Now these two bottom pictures are from ultrasounds at 16 wks from other people where it was confirmed girl or boy.  Just to give you an example. (The arrows point to the girl and boy parts).

2 comments:

Jenn Hydeman said...

Ok,,,,so, is this your doctor??? Or the U/S technician? If it's your doctor, wow...I can't imagine that happening on an appointment. Can you switch to someone a little more invested in you and your pregnancy? If this was the tech..double wow, because they should be able to get better pics than that. Hopefully you have a better U/S on your next visit. BTW, I think it looks boy...just sayin'!

Xandi said...

This (unfortunately) is my doctor. The other one who is supposed to be really good is no longer accepting patients. I can't go to a midwife since I HAVE to have a c-section. So I'm stuck with him. I get to have a level 2 ultrasound at the hospital (not with him) on the 22nd..so I should know in a little over a week. I've never had such mixed results. I just want to know and move on and plan. His chairside manner is HORRIBLE and everyone agrees, but he's supposed to be one of the best when it comes to c-sections in Flag, and that's my biggest concern right now. Oh how I miss my old OB. :(