Thursday, July 31, 2008

Potty training advice for little boys

I am finding that this is much harder (and messier) than training little girls. We bought one of those kiddie seats that attaches with screws on top of the toilet so it can be flipped up and down when in use and not in use. It never really stays up properly and when he sits on it, he doesn't scoot back far enough or his pee isn't pointed down enough and it gets all over the seat and under the other little seat. I'm about to resort back to the Bjorn potty. I just don't like the idea of potty training on one since I don't want to have to take it with me everywhere. Tatum started off on it and then after about a month, I wanted her to get used to the big toilet so when we were out in public, she could do her thing and not be scared of the big toilet. Plus, the portable one is such a pain to clean and when I started off using it, he would get up and immediately pull out the white part to go and dump it in the toilet and get it everywhere (when I was in the other room not realizing what he was doing lol). We do have elongated toilets, so I may try and order one that sits on top for one like mine with a better shield in front so pee doesn't get everywhere. I just don't know what to do with this one. I'd love ideas from any of you....

7 comments:

Just the Five of Us said...

Hummm. Well, we had both the seat that sits on top (but ours didn't screw in) and we also had one of those portable "thrones". They both had a pee blocker but we never used it cause it always fell off. I just had to make sure to push his pee pee down and have him scoot towards the back of the toilet. Mostly, he'd stand to pee though. Wish I had better advice but to be honest, I can't really remember much about it. hahaha. It hasn't been that long but it feels like forever ago. Hope you find something that works! Good luck!!

The Momma said...

I taught both of my boys to pee on the potty sitting backwards leaning forward. It usually all made it in that way. Once they were good at that I have them stand up. Sending boys to the back yard works really well too:)

the Woodard family said...

Have you tried having him sit backwards so he faces the toilet. This worked really well for us and was an easy transition to just standing.

Xandi said...

I remember someone had told me that once and I completely forgot about that advice. He just can't sit on the regular potty since he's afraid he will fall in. I wonder if it will work with the toddler seat sitting on top...??

Thanks you guys. Updates to come :)).

Darce said...

Can you tie it in a knot?

Gina said...

Fun, fun! Sam always just used the regular toilet standing. I would just help him push is penis down, and then he learned to push it down himself. You can try floating some cheerios in the water for aim. I don't know how tall Corbin is, but he may need a step stool or even a phone book works. good luck to you guys!

Xandi said...

He's so short that I'm not sure if he's ready to stand up yet. I faced him backwards and that seemed to help. I might try the cheerio thing, but I think that if I try that once, he will ALWAYS have to have it that way lol.