Friday, September 12, 2008

Au Revoir to the Mimi


This picture was actually taken the morning of the last day of his mimi. This was NOT planned and something I was NOT looking forward to doing. My rule with stuff like this I will breastfeed my children until they are done with it. By that I mean not weaning. I did the don't offer, don't refuse method around a year and at 14 months, both were done (and both still going strong up until the day they weaned...it just happened one day). Both my kids never did that well with bottles (especially Tatum), so that was never an issue. Pacifiers, my rule is at 3 years. Corbin has been so much more of a mimi baby than Tatum ever was and because of that, I was not looking forward to the day he turned three and secretly feared I would end up giving in and letting him have it until he was in high school lol. Attachments such as his blanket and blue bear would never be discouraged and something they can always have.
So I take this picture that morning and then that night, we were putting the kids to bed and Daryl goes in his room to finish the goodnight routine as I start to search the house for a mimi. Just then as I walk down the hall, Daryl closes his door and he proceeds to tell me the mimi was not asked for tonight. I was completely shocked, but figured I'd go with this one. Then the following day, he takes a nap and doesn't ask for one again. So a few days go by that he's been 'mimi free' that I'm beginning to wonder if this will actually work. Then he hurts his thumb (yesterday) and I comfort him and give him his blanket (which usually is always accompanied by 'mimi?') and he doesn't say it! But 5 min's later the all familiar word is in the air. Crap! I then proceeded to change the subject and he actually fell for it. One thing that really sucks about this is that his naps have dwindled from 3.5-4 hrs normally down to 2 hrs, 1.5,1 down to nothing today. Every day they have been getting shorter and shorter and it's starting to freak me out. I told Daryl we'd wait a few more days and see if he really isn't napping because of his binky and if that's the case.... It's just so hard because he is so not ready to be done with naps and I'm so not ready for him to be done with naps lol.
**I may need your suggestions for this one...
Since pulling off the side crib rail, he now gets out of his bed (especially at nap time since he can see in his room some) and brings things in. It all started out so innocent, like a small ball from his ball pit, but now it's escalated to the big bouncy ball kinds with handles on them bouncing with it on his mattress, his Nemo ride-on car (straddled on that with his legs thru the rails making the noises go)...the list goes on... I need to get over to IKEA and get that wall unit that Jenn H and the people from Jon & Kate plus Eight have in their playrooms. That way I can store his favorites for the crib up high and maybe that will help. My hallway usually gets pretty full at nap time, since every time I walk by his room, I have to go in and pull another toy out.**

No comments: