Thursday, September 18, 2008

Corbin's first sports sampler class




I have been counting down the days until he turns three so we could sign him up for something other than an overpriced mommy and me class. I bumped into an old friend from high school the other day and she told me the Wed morning sports sampler will accept 2.5-6 (it's really supposed to be for 3-6). So on the first day she has everyone sit down on these colored circles and go around and have everyone introduce themselves (yeah right lol). Everyone talks in the class except for Corbin. Don't get me wrong, his vocabulary has grown tremendously, but still if I ask him his name, he will not answer me. He will say things like, "doggy...owie" and I get the idea that the dog probably scratched or bit him, so that has really helped things. I am able to understand him more, but it's harder for others since they are not used to him and the way he pronounces certain words (that can almost sound like gibberish). So the language barrier will be something they will have to work through and the fact that he does not like to wait for anything such as lines or turns (which again was not a problem with the other children). He's also always had sensory issues and I kept hoping things would get better, but I'm at the point now where I think I really need to get him checked out. Examples: constant head banging (still), walking on tip toes, can't stand having anything on his hands (i.e., food, mud..etc..), walking in sand, walkinbg on wet grass (even with his shoes on), not liking the way socks feel on his feet, not ever being that affectionate with anyone (even since birth). Two examples would be coming to get me out of my shower screaming his lungs off like the world was about to end just to show me that one noodle fell out of his bowl at lunch while he was eating. Once I put it back in, the tears immediately stopped and he put a huge smile on his face and was back to eating again. Another example would be we were at Costco today and a drop of water from his drink landed on his croc and he had an absolute melt down (I mean meltdown until I removed the bead of water from his shoe). I really was not planning on typing all of this, but that's what's so nice about having your own blog...you can write what you want when you want and if people don't care to read it, so be it.
We've had two classes so far and he loves it. He does not have separation anxiety like a few others in the class, so I guess everything is a trade off. I brought Tatum last time and she got to join in on some of the exercises with the kids, so she loved that. He's gone to so many of Tatum's functions and had to pretty much sit on the sidelines and watch...now it's his turn. :)

1 comment:

Just the Five of Us said...

How cute is he! I can't wait to see more pics of your little all star in action!