Sunday, February 21, 2010

Potty issues with buddy :-(

I know...really mean of me, but I needed a picture.

So I've told a few of you some of the issues that Corbin has been going through since the move (well a few weeks before the move, so I'm sure it wasn't the move that triggered this now). Basically ever so often he has to pee ALL THE TIME. My friend in the valley was watching him and was concerned right around the time when I first noticed it (about 3 wks before our move). Daryl thought it was a phase, but honestly he wasn't in pain (at the time) and I didn't have the time because of our move and how fast things were going to take him in (I know, bad mommy). When we finally settled in, he started up again and finally I took him in. To make a really long story much shorter (or as short as I can), he's seen about 5 pediatrician's since we've been in Flag (starting in Aug.) and one urologist. He's had numerous urine cultures, a few blood draws, 2 ultrasounds and 1 x-ray (we are still waiting the x-ray results). The first Doctor (for kicks) put him on antibiotics (although his urine was clean meaning no blood/sugar/bacteria) and for whatever reason, it worked after a few days. Then a few weeks went by and the preschool teachers started to complain about how much he was peeing and if I was aware. So back to the doctors and this time around, the antibiotics did not work. Over time the bouts of this have gotten longer and much worse and at times, he's grabbing his penis and crying out in misery as he throws himself onto the floor. So I dose him with children's Ibuprofen and spray some Dermoplast on him (I know..silly, but it seems to take his mind off of it at least until the meds kick in). The last pediatrician we saw last week kept trying to distract him from wanting to go (which we are all so used to at this point) by having him draw a picture of his sister (scribbles and frustrations follow and that was fun) or having him write his name (again, more scribbles and frustrations). After about 15 mins. of talking she wanted to test for strep and then made us wait for the results, finally I was going to take him potty (which you have to understand, when he goes this much, it's usually a drop and he gets so frustrated...kind-of the same feeling you would get with a UTI or kidney infection which is why this puzzles me even more why this has not been the diagnosis). I told her that the kid could be watching his favorite cartoon eating an ice cream cone and he'd still urgently have to go pee. You really can't distract him because he really feels he has to go when he gets the feeling (not matter what is going on). Then she went on to tell me he probably needed OT and Play Therapy (in addition to speech). So now I need to try and get him signed up for that now.

So we will wait for the results of the X-Ray and continue to be stumped. I will keep you all updated and yes, this did turn more lengthy than originally planned. I really hope we will have a real answer soon and not just 'oh, maybe it's just a phase' just like his head bonking. Just an FYI for anyone reading who is in the medical field (and I know a few of you are). I don't know if this is anything, but he has always had the foulest smelling breath (even minutes after brushing his teeth, but no caries on his teeth)..I mean, it literally smells like he ate dog poop and sometimes it's very sweat smelling, but very pungent at the same time, he has always had a strong, musky odor (actually, it's quite manly smelling, but still very pleasant) and he has very sticky poops. I asked if he possibly had a wheat allergy and they said there was no way (I was also thinking juvenile diabetes, but no sugar was in his urine). Soon, I will just need to take matters into my own hands and try and find a cure on my own if nothing seems to work. We are scheduled to see a pediatric urologist in a few weeks (one travels to Flag. from Phx once a month). I will keep you all updated as soon as we know anything. Poor Corbin, this can't be fun. I went through this when I was preg. with him when I had my multiple kidney stones that I was passing, UTI's and kidney infections (but at least I had answers and at least they finally when away when I had him). I have always wondered if he was in some way affected by that, but the doctors seem to think otherwise.

To be continued...

No comments: