Sunday, January 11, 2009

Corbin's Big (Birth)Day Out!

We called up Uncle Dan, Aunt Theresa and Everett yesterday (on a whim) and had them meet us at the Camelback Park-N-Ride to take the Light Rail downtown at 10:30 (kind of a neat idea since Daryl has been an inspector for the Light Rail project for a few years now..this was our first time on it and Daryl's 10,000th lol). We were headed to the Phoenix Children's Museum....



But got out a little bit before to go for a nice walk downtown and take in the sites and stop at a coffee shop. We walked over to Pizza Bianco (voted the best pizza in Arizona..it was on Oprah...and we still need to go back for that). Of course it was closed until 4pm :(.



Then we "finally" (as Tatum would put it) made it to our destination. It was Daryl's first time and my 2nd time back since I had gone months ago with Jenn and her kids. They added a few more things and I think it was definitely more appealing this time around. Corbin didn't throw a single tantrum this time and the extra activities were fun for the kids (I noticed on the directory they still have plans for more activities there). Daryl originally wanted to take the kids to Castles-N-Coasters, but I quickly discouraged him based on Corbin's height and since this was his 3rd birthday day...Needless to say, he was extremely impressed with everything. It was fun hanging out with my brother and his family as well (baby Helena will be here in about 5 or 6 wks!).



Okay, I seriously am going to buy this for the kids (or should I say for myself and the kids lol). Because the tree out back really does grow money you know ;P. You don't even wanna know how much these babies cost...

They didn't have the noodle farm last time I was there. This was AWESOME! There are SO MANY noodles! The moment I went in running after my kids with my camera yelling and pleading (a.k.a. mammarazzi) with them to stop and pose (yeah right lol), I felt like I was young again and almost a little terrified of the noodles for a split second wondered if I would ever get out (Tatum definitely takes after me, although she definitely had no fear of the noodle farm).


Afterwards, we walked some more downtown and they had a supercross dealy going on, so we walked through that, then ended up at the Hard Rock Cafe. Corbin loved that we got to sit in front of a motorcycle. The waiter brought him out a sundae for his birthday too.


As you can see (and am sure are wondering), we did not throw a birthday party for Corbin this year. But this is the year that I bought cakes for my kids instead of making them one. He has finally switched gears from balls (he still loves them) to flashlights and cars/trains. So of course, that is what he got. I ordered the smallest cake I could and just bought the toys to add to it since the lady at the counter told me they wouldn't fit and she couldn't put them on. Well I made it work :). I ordered whipped instead of butter cream and really am second guessing that decision because I keep going by the refrigerator and slicing off another piece of it (I HATE butter cream).

Damn red frosting!
This year, instead of getting him one or two big things and calling it good. I decided to buy a bunch of little things he could open and that I know he would love. He got cheapy flashlights, light up swords/laser guns, speed racer stuff, race tracks...Instead of giving him everything at once. I let him open one at a time all day long. So for instance he got one toy before his birthday breakfast and one after, then when we got home he got another and then 20-30 mins later, another and so on. That way he would take the time to enjoy each one and it made it last really long. I found some really good deals and still ended up spending less than $40 for everything (well not including our day out of course).
I cannot believe he is three now! He is going poop on the potty on a daily basis now. He still pees in his diaper/pull-up, but immediately tells me he needs a new diaper because he wants to be dry. He pees on the potty for his teachers and for me on command. He's loving his school and is turning into such a sweet boy. I definitely think he enjoyed his special day much more than a crazy party (and so did mommy and daddy).

1 comment:

arizonamama said...

That's the way to do it! Sounds like way more fun for mom and dad too. I like the idea of opening one present at a time, slowly throughout the day. Arianne told me about that museum. She said it's awesome! Because her job is to help child development, she knows her stuff and says the museum there is great for that. Sounds like lots of fun!